One of Mr. Rosey’s favorite salads is my Stacked Caprese Salad. He asked the other night if I would make one for dinner and of course… I did. Because I love that man!
This is a perfect salad in its simplicity. It highlights the freshness of the tomato with the creaminess of the fresh mozzarella and the sweetness of the balsamic vinegar. Toss in a few fresh basil leaves and I’m telling you – pure heaven!
I usually only make my Stacked Caprese Salad in the summer when the tomatoes from the garden taste the best and I use the basil from my herb garden when it is plentiful. I only use fresh mozzarella, not the hard brick kind of mozzarella. And using the best olive oil and balsamic vinegar is important too.
For servings, I prepare one stack per person and sometimes the Girlies will split a stack.
Oiy! Here’s the truth. My mouth is watering when I think about this salad and I want to make it again…soon.
- 4 large tomatoes
- Bunch of fresh basil leaves (about 4-6 leaves per stack)
- 16 oz FRESH mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cut the tomato into ¼ inch slices.
- Cut mozzarella into ¼ inch slices.
- Whisk the balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Separate the basil leaves from the stems.
- Now you're ready to begin layering each caprese stack.
- Layer 1 (bottom): tomato slice
- Layer 2: sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper
- Layer 3: drizzle of the balsamic vinegar / olive oil mixture
- Layer 4: mozzarella slice
- Layer 5: 2-3 basil leaves (depending on size)
- Layer 6: tomato slice
- Layer 7: sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper
- Layer 8: drizzle of the balsamic vinegar / olive oil mixture
- Layer 9: mozzarella slice
- Layer 10: 2-3 basil leaves (depending on size)
- Layer 11: tomato slice
- Layer 12: sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper
- Layer 13: drizzle of the balsamic vinegar / olive oil mixture
- Layer 14: (top) a basil leaf
- Now you're ready to serve and enjoy.
The creamy goodness of the fresh mozzarella and good basaltic vinegar – delicious!