This is a project I’ve been thinking about for a-g-e-s and I am beyond thrilled to share it with you today!
After the new year begins and I de-Christmasfy our home, I always struggle with what to do with our Christmas cards. We receive such lovely cards and I just can’t throw them out. I just can’t! So for the last four years, I’ve been stashing them in plastic bags, while waiting for an idea to strike. This year, the lightening bolt struck. Sha-zaam!
I decided to create a Christmas card memory book to hold all the cards we receive. Next Christmastime, I’m going to display the books on the coffee table. Because we receive many cards with family portraits, it’ll be neat to see how everyone changes throughout the years. I decided I’m also going to put our family’s card in the book, because it’ll be fun to see our Christmas card through the years, too.
So how did I make my Christmas card memory book? It was easy and you probably have most of the supplies already in your stash.
- Card stock
- 2 circle book rings (I used 1.5 inch like these. The size depends upon how many cards will go in your book. Any office supply store will have them.)
- Hole punch
- Silhouette Cameo
1) Select the book cover shape. Look for book cover files in the Silhouette store or create your own. This is the file I used “Page Dividers #39304” – click here.
2) Resize the book cover to fit your Christmas cards. My book cover is 7.75″ x 5.5″. I measured my largest card and used that as my guide.
3) Cut 2 sets of mirror image covers out of card stock. For extra strength and support, at step 6, you will glue the first set together for the front cover and the second set together for the back cover.
4) Punch 2 holes, centered, in each Christmas card. I used one of the book covers as my guide to punch the holes.
5) Cut 2 pieces of 12″+ ribbon. Glue each ribbon in the center of the book page on the wrong side of the page. Staple the ribbon for extra strength, as the ribbon tails will be tied together to close the book.
6) Glue two book covers together, with one ribbon sandwiched in between the two. Do this twice – for the front and back cover.
7) Decorate and embellish your cover. I cut the circles and the numbers with my Silhouette. The font is Casual. For the inside cover, I cut the angel with my Silhouette and added a strip of washi tape.
8) Slide the circle rings through the holes in the back cover. Layer each Christmas card on top. Then place the front cover on top and close the rings.
9) Cut 2″ strips of ribbon and tie them along each ring.
10) Tie your book together. It’s done and ready to be displayed.
I was originally inspired by this post.
Want to Check Out More Silhouette Projects?
My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, so peruse the projects below for a wealth of Silhouette inspiration!
1. Please Excuse My Craftermath… // 2. Simply Kelly Designs // 3. Daily Dwelling // 4. Ginger Snap Crafts // 5. Our Southern Home // 6. Sowdering About // 7. The Moberg Family // 8. Decor Adventures // 9. Pineapples and Pinecones // 10. Patina Paradise // 11. The Thinking Closet // 12. It Happens in a Blink // 13. Adventures in All Things Food // 14. From Wine to Whine // 15. Practically Functional // 16. Dragonfly & Lily Pads // 17. unOriginal Mom // 18. One Dog Woof // 19. Creative Ramblings // 20. My Favorite Finds // 21. Create it. Go! // 22. A Prudent Life // 23. Where The Smiles Have Been // 24. Barb's Life // 25. Everyday Paper // 26. Pitter and Glink // 27. Peanut Life Adventures // 28. Feto Soap Blog // 29. Our Rosey Life // 30. Two Purple Couches // 31. My Paper Craze // 32. TitiCrafty // 33. Lil Mrs Tori